Creamy Broccoli Salad (Raw, Vedic)

Lately, I've been needing recipes that can be made ahead of time for lunch the next day that won't be soggy, gross, and don't need too much refrigeration. It's great to take salads to work, but they can also be messy to eat and the dressing usually needs to be packed separately.  To boot, if you, like me, often have to eat your lunch in fits and spurts, a salad can become a soggy mess.  This broccoli, beet, and carrot salad is perfect because it is satisfying, packed with nutrients and soaks up the dressing so it doesn't have to be eaten all at once.

Creamy broccoli salad made with shredded candy stripe beets!
I pack it into my snazzy PlanetBox Launch Lunchbox and off I go!  Here, I have a veggie sandwich, grapes from farmer's market, and a heaping helping of Creamy Broccoli Salad!



Creamy Broccoli Salad (2-3 servings)
Ingredients:
-1 medium head organic broccoli either raw or lightly steamed, chopped small
-half candy stripe (or any type) beet, shredded
-1 medium carrot, shredded
-1/4 cup organic raisins
-1 lemon wedge, to add juice to the salad
-2 tbsp raw sunflower seeds
-3 tbsp Raw Sour Cream Sauce
-2 tbsp red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
-1-2 tsp maple syrup
-Hing + Black Pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. If making all raw, proceed to step 2.  I like my broccoli head lightly steamed so I chop off the stalk and take the whole head and place it in a hot water bath on the stove (not roiling boil) for a minute, then I take it out to drain and run cold water over it. With the raw stalk, I slice off the rough exterior and chop it up and throw directly into my salad container.
  2. Get out a medium sized tupperware to place salad ingredients in for easy storage.
  3. Chop broccoli up in small pieces (remove tough exterior of the stalk by slicing off with a pearing knife).
  4. Peel of skin of the beet, then shred the beet and carrot with a cheese grater.
  5. Add all ingredients together in a bowl or tupperware and mix them up, squeeze the lemon on.
  6. Store in refrigerator up to three days.

Comments