Raw Sour Cream Sauce (Vegan, Vedic, Raw)

It's creamy, it's tangy, it's easy, it's yummy....what more do you want to know?  I love to use this as a base for salad dressings (like combined with salsa for a Taco Salad) and pour it over things, like tortilla pizzas! I just discovered that you can use this sauce as a cheese replacement on baked pizzas as well (See my Quickie Vegan Cheese Pizza).  I love this sauce because it's loaded with protein and good fat from the nuts, B12 from the nutritional yeast, and minerals from the coconut water.


The most important part of obtaining a smooth, creamy and non-gritty sauce is to blend the HECK out it.  I just have a common blender, not a fancy one, so I'm hoping others can achieve the same smoothness I get.  Also, soaking the nuts for an hour or more prior to blending will make them softer, so if you're worried your blender won't cut it, try that.  Also, you can add small amounts of liquid until there's just the right amount to get it blend.

Sour Cream Sauce


Ingredients:
1 cup raw, whole cashews (*optional: soaked 20 minutes)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I use coconut or almond)
1/2 cup coconut water or regular water
1/2 - 3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp hing (asefotida)
>Optional: add small clove of garlic or garlic and powder if you don't have hing and if using for a savory dish where you want a garlic flavor, other wise omit

Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients to a blender
  2. *Blending Tip* After placing all ingredients in the blender, start off by pulsing a few times on the lowest setting then gradually work your way up to the highest setting possible and let it run, that way you avoid an explosion/splatter type event.
  3. If you have a fancy blender, blend until smooth (30 seconds? I don't even know? I'm so jealous of all you fancy blender owners ;)
  4. If you're like me and you have a regular blender, blend for a ~3-5 minutes or until smooth.  I just let the thing run, occasionally scraping down the sides.
  5. Store in a jar with a lid, or tupperware, for up to 1 week.

Comments