Savory Brussels Sprouts in a Marjoram Crème Sauce

Think you hate Brussels Sprouts? Think Again!
I tried brussels sprouts for the first time many years ago when I was in grad school after seeing them at the farmers market.  After all the horror stories I'd heard, I was a little scared to try them! I found this recipe on Epicurious which I used to prepare my first tasting and it blew my mind! I couldn't imagine why any one didn't like brussels sprouts?  Well, I veganized the recipe today so that way I can still enjoy it and here are the results:


Okay, maybe you will never like brussels sprouts, but at least give this recipe a try before you say you definitely don't!  This dish makes a decadent side to any meal and would be ideal as a holiday side dish.  My crummy photograph does not do this dish justice! It is reminiscent of a sumptuous classic french-style dish: simple, elegant, and rich.  First, the fresh brussels sprouts are steamed in broth with carmelized onion and garlic. Then, fresh marjoram and a cashew crème are added along with fresh ground pepper.  My mouth is watering just writing this!

brussels sauteeing in pan with cashew crème

I chopped the brussels sprouts in half, which is what you see in the picture, but I think quartered is the way to go because that way you get a higher ratio of sauce to vegetable. I hope you try this recipe and enjoy it!

Brussels Sprouts in a Marjoram Crème Sauce  (Serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
10 medium sized brussles sprouts, quartered
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup vegetable broth OR quick broth* (see #2 in directions)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

For Marjoram Crème Sauce:
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour (or overnight in the fridge)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram OR 1 tsp dried 
{Blend all ingredients except for marjoram in a blender on highest speed until perfectly smooth, add herbs}

Directions:
  1. Add salt, butter, and oil to a large skillet or big soup pot over medium-high heat, add onions and garlic and sautee for 6-10 minutes until onions are golden or slightly brown.
  2. Reduce to medium-low heat and add quartered bruss. sprouts and one cup vegetable broth OR, if you don't have broth on hand, *1 cup water with 2 tbsp yeast flakes and 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsely (2 tsp dried).
  3. Cover and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until brussels are very tender.
  4. Reduce heat to low and add cashew creme and fresh marjoram and continue cooking 3 more minutes to thicken the sauce.  Serve immediately. 
  5. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

Comments

  1. Something that completely bothered me was that even with the internet, most individuals nevertheless do not care to write about the subject on this level. Property Events UK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment