Summer Heirloom Tomato Rosé Sauce with Pasta (Raw, *Vedic Option)

This is my new favorite thing!  I love that the sauce is raw, I think it's a great way to have a nutritional and raw component to a cooked meal, as it warms up when you add it to your fresh hot pasta (if using).  The rosé is ooh-la-la creamy and best of all, it's legitimately cheesy tasting.  I am proud to say that I had this confirmed by an independent third party (my friend's roommate who is neither vegan, nor has much experience with vegan food, yeah!). Talk about comfort food!

Summer Heirloom Rosé on Raw Zucchini Noodles
I sort of accidentally invented this recipe about a week or so ago while recovering from a rather unfortunate bout of seasickness while out on my ocean kayak.  Without going into too many details, by the time I got home from my adventure I had nothing left in my stomach and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening curled in a ball on the couch.  All I wanted was something simple. 

Summer Heirloom Rosé on Capellini Pasta

In my weakened stupor I threw a few things into the blender and tossed it into some pasta.....and then....Magical Heavenly voices started singing and beams of light shot down from the firmament to encircle me and my glorious bowl of vegan cream sauce pasta that tasted so cheesy and so wonderful! It was a true miracle!

This picture is just gratuitous. YUMMY in my TUMMY!

Summer Heirloom Rosé Sauce (2-3 Servings)
Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews (Optional: soak for 20-40 minutes)
1 cup non-dairy milk (or 1/2 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup milk)
1 medium heirloom tomato (~1.5 cups chopped tomato)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
*2 cloves garlic (*Vedic: use 1/4 -1/2 tsp hing instead)
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 small heirloom tomato, chopped

Optional: Add 1/3 cup of soaked sundried tomatoes for a richer tomato flavor and redder color.

For Pasta Base:
  1. Raw Zucchini Noodles: Two medium zucchini's processed into noodles (see below)
  2. Capellini Noodles: Half pound (or half a standard package) cooked in boiling water for 3-5 min
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients except for basil and small tomato into a blender and blend until very smooth (you really want to let the blender run on high for a while, approximately 3 minutes, perhaps stopping to stir occasionally)
  2. Place sauce in a jar and add chopped basil and tomatoes and mix to incorporate into the sauce
  3. Toss sauce into noodles of your choice and enjoy!
Zucchini Noodles, eh?
So how did I get such lovely raw noodles?  I purchased this magical slicer for $35 on Amazon!  It's the best thing ever.  Check out my vegetable torture device:

Vegetable spiralizer in action!
You can also make zucchini noodles with a good ole fashioned vegetable peeler!  You can lightly steam the noodles too and mix in with pasta, that way you get even more veggies!

Comments

  1. My friend is a healthy eater and is looking for options for herself, her 1.5yr oldc and baby on the way. She cannot eat soy products and her toddler is allergic to dairy. We tried this rose cashew cream sauce without the nutritional yeast flakes because no local store provided it. Instead we increased the cashews and the tomatoes and i used almond milk. I let it sit in the refrigerator for 30min then mixed it into mini bowtie pastas and added the basil and tomatoes. Unbelievable. We were so stunned by how delicious this was that we didnt realize the toddler had gobbled up her serving leaving no traces behind. Children are notorious for being messy and picky eaters but she didnt let any of of her food touch anything but her mouth. Fantastic 5 star recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know this has now officially been "kid tested and approved," thanks!! Sounds darling with the mini bowtie pastas too..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an awesome recipe, Jala Duta. Lacking the great spiralizer and too lazy to employ a vegetable peeler, I put my squash through the julienne setting on a mandolin. I used about 5 garlic cloves for the sauce, and used a combo of some canned roma tomatoes that I wanted to use up plus a fresh heirloom. The nutritional yeast really mellowed out the flavor. Instead of cashews I subbed in soy milk to provide moisture and to remove any squash bitterness. We added a dash of red pepper flakes and some no-salt herb seasoning. It was truly luscious. My husband is not a great fan of squash but he devoured this dish. Another winner, and quick to prepare and cook. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this is pretty much my favorite dish ever. I just find it so comforting to eat and very easy on my stomach. It really does throw together fast, doesn't it? I love dishes that sound and look fancy, but are ready in under 10 minutes! Tee hee!.....Our secret! Shhhhh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment